1. WHO WE ARE
Rexel Finland Oy (0980994-9), Varastokatu 9 (PL360), 05800 Hyvinkää, Finland (“we”, “us”), an innovative distributor of electrical material in Finland. We offer a wide range of customer-oriented solutions for the distribution of electrical materials to our professional customers, energy-saving solutions for buildings and industry, and renewable energy solutions. When processing your personal data, we act as the data controller in accordance with applicable law, including the General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union. We are therefore liable for any use of your personal data by us or on our behalf.
2. OUR COMMITMENT
Ensuring data protection is the foundation of trustworthy business relationships between you and us. We therefore take your privacy seriously when conducting business in our online store channels or in our stores. This Privacy Notice explains how we collect and process your personal data.
We may update it from time to time and will post a new version on our website. This notice was last updated on 30th June 2022.
3. THE DATA PROCESSED BY US
You provide us with some personal details when interacting with us on one of our sales channels, for example, when you submit your data to create a Rexel customer account or when you contact us to inquire about something. We obtain some personal details by registering how you use our websites, brochures and other marketing materials or applications, for example by using technologies such as cookies. We also receive information about you from your employer and our partners, such as our advertising partners.
You are in control of what personal data we process. When you are asked to provide personal data, you have the right to refuse. However, if you choose not to provide personal information necessary to deliver a product or service, we may not be able to provide that product or service.
Identification of the person: your first name and last name, gender and signature.
Contact information: your work email address, work mailing address, work phone number, and other similar contact information such as delivery address.
User account information: the date your account was created, account number, username, account passwords, and security information used to authenticate and access your account.
Information about your contract when you enter into a contract with us as a service/product provider or customer: information necessary to process our business relationship.
Financial information: information necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your bank account or credit card details.
Our payment service providers process credit card numbers, expiration dates and the security code associated with your payment instrument. If you apply for a credit account, we collect your data for the purpose of conducting a credit rating and threshold assessment with credit agencies.
Purchases: information about the price quotes you have requested and the orders and purchases you have made. If you have an account with us, we also keep a record of your balance and any late payments.
Location information: information about delivery addresses and management of your contact information.
Your interaction with us: the content of any messages, emails, letters, online forms or phone calls you send to us, such as feedback and product reviews you write, questions or information you provide for customer support, and information about your appointments with us. When you contact us, telephone conversations may be monitored and recorded as part of the development of our relationship. We also collect information about how you respond to marketing messages or newsletters that we send you.
Information about your searches concerning our services: We receive information from Google about how information has been retrieved from our sites and how many people have requested route directions or called our location through Google services.
Camera surveillance: If you enter our offices or other Rexel buildings, your photos may be recorded by our security cameras. Rexel handles some of our camera surveillance equipment directly, while a third-party vendor monitors other cameras. We regularly delete surveillance camera recordings unless they are processed in an investigation of an alleged crime or incident.
4. WHY WE USE PERSONAL DATA
We use your personal data to manage our business relationship with you. This includes:
- development of our products and services
- marketing (directory, newsletters, direct marketing, profiling, targeted advertising)
- loyalty programmes (cards, events, contests, sweepstakes)
- external communications
- compliance with legal obligations
- legal action.
For more information, please see the following sections.
We use your personal information to perform essential business activities, such as:
• Providing our products and services: we use personal data from the receipt, delivery and billing of your orders to the collection of payments related to them.
• Account opening and receivables management: we use your personal data to order and set up your account, manage your contracts and grant credit limits.
• Payment transactions: we share payment information with banks and other entities that process payment transactions or provide other financing services.
• After-sales customer service and product returns: we use your personal data from the implementation of the product warranty in connection with the order, receipt, recording and management of the claim and/or product return until the processing of the claim report file.
• Customer support: we use your personal information to respond to your inquiries and to track sales of our products and services.
4.2 Developing our products and services
We use personal data to:
• conduct surveys or solicit your feedback on our products and services: we use your responses and contributions to perform quality controls and improve our products and services
• analyse your use of our websites and apps and your responses to our communications to improve the products and services we offer, our marketing and our customer service
• keep records of our activities and services, which may include communications with or about you.
We use personal data for:
• Directories: we may establish a contact list of customers/potential customers
• Newsletters: we may send you newsletters about our products and services
• Direct marketing: we may send you communications (including by email and SMS) about products and services offered by us and third parties that we believe may be of interest to you (for example, because they relate to other products and services you have purchased or shown interest in). We may also share your personal data with other Rexel Group companies for marketing purposes. This may include sharing your name, phone number and email address so that these companies can contact you to offer you products or services.
• Targeted advertising: we use your personal data to target our direct marketing and advertising, as well as in our own services, social media services (such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn) and third party websites, in order to make our advertisements as relevant as possible for you.
We tailor our advertising and marketing by combining information we have about you, such as your contact details, information about your previous purchases and information about your use of our website. Based on this information, we can target an advertisement to a user who has, for example, visited our website or viewed a certain product in our online store.
In addition, our partners may use information they have about your interests, use of their services, or profile information, such as your age, gender, and occupation, to target ads.
• Loyalty programmes (cards, events, contests, sweepstakes): we may enrol you in loyalty programmes due to your subscription or participation and offer you special rewards.
Even if you do not consent to electronic direct marketing, you may still receive feedback requests, surveys and other customer support messages from us.
You may withdraw your consent to electronic direct marketing at any time or refuse to receive feedback requests and surveys by using your account on our website, by clicking on the link provided in each marketing email, or by using the contact details provided in the How to exercise your rights section below.
You can also object to our direct marketing and related profiling, such as targeted advertising, at any time.
4.4 External communications
We process your personal data to inform you
- about energy markets
- about our events or innovative products and services
- about our corporate strategy, governance or values.
4.5 Compliance with our legal obligations
We process or share your personal data with third parties, for example, where required by applicable laws such as:
- tax law
- accounting law
- anti-fraud law
- credit risk reduction law
- insurance law
- personnel law
- compliance with our legal obligations.
4.6 Disputes and legal action
We may process your personal data to:
- resolve potential or actual disputes
- defend our legal rights
- respond to legal proceedings
- respond to requests from competent law enforcement authorities
- and more generally to protect our rights, privacy, security or property.
4.7 Legal basis
Rexel collects, uses and discloses your personal data for all these purposes, as long as there is a legal basis for doing so. The legal bases are as follows:
• Because we need the data to perform a contract or to take steps to enter into a contract with you. For example, to deliver
the goods you have ordered. We may also collect your information because you have asked us to take action before you enter into a contract with us, for example, when you ask us to provide you with a quote.
• Because we need the data to comply with the law. In some cases, we need to keep your information because the law compels us to do so. For example, to ensure public safety, for tax issues, etc.
• Because you have consented to it. For example, when you fill out paper or online forms and choose to provide us with your information. Our electronic direct marketing is also based on your consent where required by law.
• Because it is in our legitimate interest. We process your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, for example to prevent fraud, etc. The processing of personal data for marketing purposes and the related profiling are also mainly based on our legitimate interest to promote our products and services. When we process your data on this basis, we always ensure that we balance our interests by keeping the data within your rights and reasonable expectations.
5. SHARING YOUR INFORMATION AND OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHER PARTIES
5.1 Service providers
We share your personal data with service providers for one of the purposes listed in the section Why we use personal data.
Our partner companies must comply with our data protection and security requirements and must not use the personal data they receive from us for any other purpose.
Examples of service providers we use are:
- the service providers of our communication systems and the software we use
- the service providers we use to target and send advertising
- the service providers we use to store our marketing materials and marketing lists
- the service providers we use for market research and customer satisfaction surveys
- the transport companies we use to deliver your order
- our website analytics service providers, and
- our customer service partners, such as chatbot service providers.
Information about purchases may be disclosed to our business partners from whom you have purchased a product or service, for example, for delivery purposes and to determine the availability of the product.
5.3 Other Rexel Group companies
We may share some of your personal data with other Rexel Group companies. These units act on our behalf and we remain responsible for the way they use your personal information for these purposes. In the case of transfers outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland, we will ensure that appropriate measures are taken to protect your personal data.
5.4 Other recipients
We may also disclose your personal data to the following parties:
• authorities or regulatory bodies
• parties involved in legal proceedings, such as lawyers, claimants, defendants, etc., to defend or exercise our legal rights
• marketing networks such as Facebook, Google and LinkedIn
In addition to the situations described herein, we will disclose your personal data with your consent if it is necessary for one of the purposes listed in section Why we use personal data.
6. INTERNATIONAL GENERAL PERSONAL DATA TRANSFERS
In cases where we may need to transfer your personal data outside Finland and the European Economic Area, we will implement all necessary procedures to obtain the necessary guarantees to secure these transfers. This may include, for example, ensuring an adequate level of data protection by using the European Commission’s standard contractual clauses.
7. STORING YOUR DATA
We will retain your personal information as long as necessary for the purposes of the processing. The retention period varies according to the different types of personal data, as it depends on:
• the business need to retain personal data
• contractual and business partner requirements
• legal requirements (data protection, insurance, taxation, human resources management, etc.)
• rules and recommendations issued by data protection authorities.
Rexel may retain some personal data after this period has expired, for example, to resolve any disputes and pending or potential legal action, to maintain an archive of our services, and otherwise to comply with our legal obligations and defend our legal rights.
8. THE SECURITY OF YOUR DATA
We regularly review the technical and organisational security measures used in our information and communication systems to adapt them to the risks concerning you and to prevent loss, misuse and unauthorised alteration of your personal data.
You are responsible for keeping the password you use to access our website confidential. We will not ask you for your password other than when you log in to our website.
We cannot be held responsible for any damage that may result from your use of our website, including damage or a virus that may infect your computer or any other resource.
Although we have made every effort to ensure the reliability of the information contained on our website, we are not liable for any errors, omissions or results that may be obtained, communicated, passed on or collected through the use of this information.
In particular, the use of hypertext links when visiting our website may lead you to other, third party websites in order to access the information you have searched for. We do not control these servers and are not responsible for the privacy practices of third party websites.
9. YOUR RIGHTS
You can exercise all your rights as a data subject. You have the right to
Access information. You have the right to know whether we hold personal data about you, to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and other information about how we process it.
Request rectification of inaccurate personal data and, in some cases, ask us to delete or restrict our use of your personal data or otherwise object to our processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes or for reasons specific to your situation.
Object to the use of your personal data for certain purposes (e.g. marketing purposes and related profiling).
Restrict. You have the right to ask us to restrict our use of your personal data in certain situations, for example when investigating a complaint that the personal data we hold about you is incorrect (conditionally).
Request the deletion of your personal data (conditionally).
Transfer. Where applicable, you may have the right to receive a copy of the personal data you have provided to us or to have a copy sent to another company (in a machine-readable format).
Withdraw the consent you have given to the use of your personal data at any time. This includes your consent to receive direct marketing communications (see section Why we use personal data, item Marketing).
10. EXERCISING YOUR RIGHTS
To send us requests to exercise or obtain more information about the rights listed in section 9, you can either
- use the general inquiry form available at www.rexel.com or
- contact us at the address below:
Group Data Protection Officer